Monday, August 17, 2009

Random thoughts from this side of the world

I love driving...great to drive after not driving for so long (while in Brazil). But once I turn 25, I will no longer be covered on my parents' car insurance policy, meaning I will no longer drive, and I certainly won't be buying a car anytime soon. At least Philadelphia seems to have a good public transit system.

I left my keys in the car door TWICE today, when getting into the car. Then I sat down to start it and wondered where my keys were... I have never done that before, but thankfully that was the extent of my driving issues after 7 months of not driving!

Maybe I did it because I almost always left my keys in the outside of my bedroom door at Luzeiro.

Over the past year or so I have discovered that I really like classical music...unfortunately, while in Brazil, I only had one classical CD on my computer, which I now have totally memorized. Thankfully now I have more selection!

I picked up my flute yesterday to see if I still remembered how to play it. I was amazed I got a good sound on it right away and still remembered many scales, but I don't have any music or know where it is...but it would be fun to start playing again.

I picked up my guitar yesterday as well, which I also haven't played since high school. Still remember the chords and a few worship songs but that's about it...I was never that good on guitar to begin with. Anyone want to buy an Ovation Legend Acoustic/Electric? The same kind of guitar Shakira plays.

I've heard Shakira's new song for the first time since coming back. I tend to not like her songs at first but then they usually grow on me after awhile.

It's weird not being at the Lighthouse, but a part of my heart is still there. It already seems that I have been gone an eternity as I stepped into a totally different world, but I can still look at the clock and think of exactly what everyone is doing there at that point in time.

I hope that I can make as good of friends in Philadelphia as I made at the Lighthouse.

I don't know if I will ever be in one place for a long period of time.

Before going to Brazil, a friend asked me what song represented my life at that point. I really liked that question and like to periodically contemplate it for myself. Right now it would be "Estante da Vida" by Heloise Rosa, the first song on a CD my Brazilian friend, Rosangela, gave me as a going away gift. Part of the lyrics say,
"Não importa o lugar, sei que sou visto por Ti
Não importa o lugar, sei que sou amado por Ti
Não importa o lugar, sei que sou aceito por Ti
Não importa o lugar, sei que sou amado por Ti"

That's like my theme song right now because it reminds me no matter where I am or where I go, God is the same and He is with me and sees me, loves me, and accepts me. I'm singing this a lot right now because I just left a very special place, am home only 2 weeks, then going to a totally new place! Everything is changing like crazy, but God isn't - He is still the same and He is my stabilizing presence and my Rock.

It's only been 5 days since I left the Lighthouse...weird. Feels longer. Tomorrow night will be the first Tuesday night prayer thing at some friends' house that I won't be able to go to! I will miss that.

I really know very little about what to expect in Philadelphia, but I'm actually quite at peace about it. I have never even been to the East Coast before, I don't know anything about my roommate, I don't know what classes I will be taking, I don't know what my internship will be like, but I should know all of these things in just over 2 weeks!

It is finally sunny and decently warm here! Hip-idibipidibipidibip-hooray! I forgot to record Gerben saying that...

1 comment:

The Brazilnuts said...

Hi Stefanie.....
yes it´s now Tuesday night and we will be praying soon, we´ll pray for you too, will be a bit stange without you. (Gerben has just arrived and says "hipidipipidipidipip")