Sunday, March 8, 2009

I finally made it up the mountain!



One of the things I miss most from home is the nature - the trees, the green, the mountains, the natural beauty of Oregon! It's not quite the same here in the 5 million person city of Belo Horizonte, however the little nature the city has to offer is found in the Mangabeiras Park region, which includes an actual park as well as a "mountain" ridge you can climb/hike up. I have been wanting to go since I heard about it and after many months I was finally able to go this past weekend! I survived the hike as you can see from the picture at the top. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me (that's a picture from a volunteer's Blackberry), but there are great views of the city from the top. At least this picture is proof that I made it, and you can see a bit of the mountain ridge in the background. If anyone comes to visit me, I'd love to take you up there, though, Mom, I don't think you could handle the steep drop-offs (not really good if you are afraid of heights).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks pretty, although don't see any trees? You are right, I probably could not handle the steep drop offs. Had a melt-down last year in Arizona when got up to the Mesa, & suddenly it was all rock cliffs and no trees. Any monkeys up there? Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'd be up for it! Glad you got to do this.So important to find all the special places that are within your reach! Love, Dad

Jenna said...

That is so awesome! I'm glad you were able to find some time to get out and enjoy some of the scenery!

S said...

No, the mountain ridge is barren. There are trees in the nearby Parque Mangabeiras, where the monkeys are as well. No monkeys on the mountain!